KEVIN MILLETT

In the spotlight is a central defender and club Captain who made close to 400 appearances for the club and was the ultimate Mr Reliable.

I hereby declare that Kevin is another player from Underhill's history who will always hold a special affinity with me as a player, and a person, and is in my all time Barnet FC line up.
Ask Barry Fry to name his all time ‘Mr Reliables’ and he will rattle off perhaps three or four players and one of them would certainly be Kevin Millett. Kevin was Captain at Underhill in the very difficult years running up to the arrival of the financial lifeline that was Stan Flashman to Underhill in 1986. He was born in November 1954 in Luton. “I didn’t really start playing seriously until my last year of junior school but things went well and eventually I was selected for the County at under 14, under 16 and under18”.

Kevin signed Junior forms at his home town club in 1969. “But I soon discovered girls and other delights as you do. I put on a fair bit of weight and grew my hair. I admit I got distracted from playing and training drifting into Sunday League whilst doing my apprenticeship in the printing trade”.

Fate struck whist Kevin was playing for a local side run by his Father. “Dad had arranged a friendly against Dunstable reserves and who should be playing up front for them making up the numbers? Yeah, their manager Barry Fry and I was marking him. He didn’t get a kick, so after the game he said ‘I wanna sign yer my son’, so I joined Dunstable Town in the Southern League. Soon afterwards Barry signed George Best, and the lads just couldn’t believe it. He sat down next to me in the dressing room and said ‘hi lads’ and I couldn’t take my eyes of him there he was the legend, absolutely incredible that I played on the same pitch as Best.
Kevin moved to Hillingdon Borough (with Fry) and then joined Barnet (and Fry again) in the summer of 1979. “Funny enough Billy Meadows tried to sign me for Barnet in 1977 and I could have played with another of my heroes, Jimmy Greaves”.
Millett signs for Fry

We had a very young side, under achieved without question, but playing at Underhill at the time was infectious. As a defender at Barnet you had to be composed and focused as we normally started with game with 8 forwards!
Kevin's Debut was 18th August 1979 in the following line up that lost 2-1 at Nuneaton Borough in the Alliance Premier League;
Kevin Blackwell - Chris Hullett, Graham Pearce, Steve Oliver, Kevin Millett -Russell Townsend, Les McCormack, Steve Turner, Steve Robinson - Brian Siani and Martin Sperrin. Sub: Gary French.

Among his central defender partners were Steve Oliver, Steve Robinson, Pat Kruse, Alan Garner, Bill Baldry, Martin Chivers, Tony Bennett, Bob Pittaway and Glyn Creaser but Millett was the first choice in central defence and was made club Captain. He singles out Creaser and Baldry as his two favourites. “Bill was such fun to play alongside and we are still close friends even after all these years. Glyn was so easy to play with as he always seemed to be there when I needed him, you never needed to worry about him. Strong as an ox too”

The highlights at that time for Kevin were the FA cup games against Peterborough, Brighton and Bristol Rovers, the later two including replays in front of big crowds while the disappointments were the unjustified defeat at Northwich in the FA trophy and the Bob Lord Trophy Final defeats against Stafford Rangers and Scarborough. Millett was forever being singled out for praise in press reports, Mr Reliable he was. “I knew we had the potential at the club and felt that if someone could come along and inject some money we would succeed”.

Kevin moved on when Roger Thompson took over the reins at the club and had a very brief spell at Maidstone Utd (yes with Fry!) but returned to play in the side that was the catalyst for the promotion success five years later. “The cheque book came out and quality players arrived on a regular basis” Kevin’s all time favourite Barnet performance was against Boston in the replayed FA Trophy tie. “We beat them 3-0 at Cambridge United’s ground and was the perfect game. The pitch suited our style, the crowd were electric and David Sansom and Edwin Stein were brilliant that night, great memories.
Such was Kevin’s ability that he received offers from the top non-league clubs of the time including Runcorn and Telford United but always chose to stay at Barnet. “I had a thriving business career and the balance between playing and working was perfect”.
Kevin Millett 1989

Kevin suffered with his fair share of injuries and would have certainly played 500 games for the club had he kept fit. At the end of the 1987-88 season he decided on semi retirement to concentrate more on his printing business. “Barry came round to my house and he spent about two hours trying to persuade me to continue playing, but I was struggling for fitness. I offered my services for reserve games and the Club Call Cup fixtures should I be needed though. The club granted him a testimonial against Tottenham in May 1988. His final game was in the Club Call Cup Final versus Hyde United in May 1989 “It was the only winners medal I ever won with the club!” Line Up: Andy Lomas - Paul Wilson, Wayne Turner, Kevin Millett, George Reilly -Gary poole, Steve Ketteridge, Edwin Stein - Gary Bull, David Sansom,  Frank Murphy. Subs David Regis and Richard Nugent.

Kevin played for Vauxhall Motors and then Langford before a move to Hitchin Town and then to Baldock Town before a return to Dunstable where he took a joint Manager role with his long time friend and ex Bee Steve Brinkman. “I finished my playing career aged 37 at Brache Sparta playing alongside my old friends John Margerrison, Bill Baldry and Brinks. The Barnet connection has always been there and will never leave me I am sure.”

Kevin lives in Dunstable, still in the printing trade, with his wife Liz and has four very grown up children. Kevin is the Sales Director of Regal Litho, the current Bee’s programme printers and is amongst the clubs sponsors. We keep in regular touch and will be seen at the Hive very very soon. 
Bill Baldry, Reckless, Kevin Millett

No comments:

Post a Comment